Assisi - Museo Diocesano e Cripta di San Rufino
The Diocesan Museum of Assisi has been located since 2006 in the Palazzo dei Canonici across from the San Rufino Cathedral.
The remains of a romanesque cloister and the crypt of the " Basilica Ugoniana" (11th century) can be seen in the building's basement, decorated with very rare frescoes relized in the same period. In the apse is collocated a Roman sarcophagus decorated with a bass relief representing the myth of Selen and Endymion wich originally contained the blessed remains of Saint Ruphinus. The collection includes a considerable amount of stoneworks found during the excavations of the Romanesque cathedral and a group of frescoes and panel paintings from 13th until 17th centuries. It also holds frescoes and processional gonfalons from Assisi fraternities, and an important collection donated by the American art historian Frederick Mason Perkins (Hingham 1874 - Assisi 1955).
Enlarged view of the map / Road directions
For further information, use the button below: